Bankwest Stadium has received a prestigious Good Design Award Gold Accolade in the Architectural Design Commercial and Residential category at the 2020 Good Design Award Week – the 10th Award handed to the Western Sydney Stadium since its opening in April last year.
The Good Design Award recognises the outstanding design and innovation that went into the Stadium project.
The annual Good Design Awards is Australia’s oldest and most prestigious international Awards for design and innovation with a proud history dating back to 1958. The Awards celebrate the best new products and services on the Australian market, excellence in architectural design, engineering, fashion, digital and communication design, design strategy, social impact design and young designers.
More than 55 Good Design Awards Jurors evaluated each entry according to a strict set of design criteria which covers ‘good design’, ‘design innovation’ and ‘design impact’. Projects recognised with a Good Design Award must demonstrate excellence in good design and convince the Jury they are worthy of recognition at this level.
The Good Design Awards Jury praised Bankwest Stadium, commenting: “Designed as a piece of social infrastructure, the stadium successfully references the local industrial heritage to create a great spectator experience. It also manages to address its place in the city, providing activity, engagement and connection rather than isolating the sports field. A strong design result that has exceeded the brief in so many areas.”
Bankwest Stadium is owned by Venues NSW on behalf of the NSW Government and operated by VenuesLive, a leading Australian-based provider of management and hospitality services to venues and events.
The Stadium was designed and constructed by Lendlease in conjunction with architect Populous and engineering company Aurecon and, was delivered by Infrastructure NSW.
The trophy cabinet at Bankwest Stadium is growing fast. Built #ForTheFans with the event experience front of mind, the 30,000-seat Stadium has now won ten awards since it opened with a Community Open Day in April 2019.
Bankwest Stadium’s List of Awards
- Good Design Award Gold Accolade in the Architectural Design Commercial and Residential category;
- Best Commercial Architecture: 2020 NSW Architecture Awards;
- Colorbond Award for Steel Architecture: 2020 NSW Architecture Awards;
- NSW People’s Choice Award for Life in 2020: NSW Architecture Awards;
- LEED v4 Gold Certification from the US Green Building Council: First Stadium in the world to announce LEED v4 Gold standard for sustainable design.
- Silver Medal: Stadium Database Stadium of the Year Awards 2019:
- 2019 Project of the Year – Joint Winner: BOOMTOWN! Property & Infrastructure Awards;
- Outstanding Sports & Major Events Project for 2019– BOOMTOWN! Property & Infrastructure Awards;
- Australia’s Best Rectangular Stadium– Austadiums Stadium Of The Year Awards 2019;
- National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) Excellence Award– Stowe Australia for Bankwest Stadium.